Indi-Spence-able

The one-stop shop to see an actors growth from the moderately insane to stardom.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Working Actor's Lament (Chapter 73)

Another USC Audition - And Counting

In the wake of the worst rain storm California has seen since El Nino in the '90's, I was lucky enough to have a couple of auditions:

Project - USC Film "Time and Time Again"
Location - Carson Building (USC)
Role - Norman
Aquired - Actor's Access

I have been submitting on Actor's Access for a while with no hits. I average about 4 submissions a day, but the system is set up for the actor to be pretty passive once they have submitted. So, to my surprise, I was called last night around 9:58 PM for an audition today.

I looked over the submission before I called the director back to see when I submitted and it was from earlier that day (with a submission deadline of 10 PM). The character was right up my alley; nerdy Theoretical Physicist who can not have a good date to save his life. Since this was me up until my early 20's, I knew this character.

I called the director and found out that he was having issues with his computer but assured me I would have the sides in just a few moments. He also told me auditions were from Noon to 4 PM and he could see me at 2:45. I asked for an earlier time and he told me he could squeeze me in at 1:50 and I took it. It was good to hear that there were a lot of actors being considered.

Cut to this morning and no email from the director; no sides, no directions, no nothing. Not a good sign. I called him back to make sure that he had not sent them and he was still experiencing computer problems. YAY!! He promised me it was on its way and it arrived shortly after.

Printing the sides and taking them to Express Lube while my car got an oil change, I realized that it was a really cute scene and character, I decided to go. Rain be damned, I was going to go. I did come out here to act, didn't I?

I got to the Carson building and walked up the stairs to the small waiting room with one chair outside a closed door. Here is the good thing about arriving early at a USC audition - their doors are very thin.

After listening to the director give the actor inside the room some direction, I realized that the choices I had made were pretty much on the button. The actor inside the room finished, gave the director his conflicts (many conflicts), and exited.

I was called into the small room, and there was only the director and the reader. There was no camera, which I was happy about since I still don't know if I play to the director in the middle of the room, the reader off to one side or the camera that is so far to the other side of the room that there is no way it can see me. No worry about that today, though.

The reader, surprisingly, was very good. I did what I planned (taking into consideration the direction I had just heard through the door) and was happy. Through my peripheral vision, I could see the director placing his hands over his mouth, and when I finished laughed a belly laugh. It felt really good.

After giving me direction (he admitted that he just wanted to try something different, I knew it was just to see if I could take direction), he shook my hand and I left. There was no one outside when I left so I have no idea how many actors took the time to come to a USC Film in the rain with one day notice and 4 hours with the sides. This is when I am thankful of the actors who are not serious out here.


What did I learn:

  • Don't be a passive actor. If you are told you will get additional information and don't, don't assume anything.

  • Don't think you need days with a script to think you will do a good job. Take the time you are given and use it to your advantage.

  • There are so many 'actors' out here that do not want to act...don't be one of them!

And this was not the only audition I had today...read the next blog...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home