Indi-Spence-able

The one-stop shop to see an actors growth from the moderately insane to stardom.

Monday, October 02, 2006

A Working Actor's Lament (Chapter 38)

I Love New York??? Think Again!!!

I have to say, this business we call show out here in Hollywood is really tough on one's confidence. I keep putting myself out there to be judged and juried (?) and keep getting kicked in the nether region of my persistence.

I have heard for every positive there are at least a hundred negatives, be it for auditions or HIV tests. Either way, it doesn't sound that "positive" to me. I have submitted my short film to eleven festivals so far. Out of those, I have only heard from six, and out of those I have only been accepted into two; 33.3% of my peers feel the blood, sweat and tears I poured into my film and have decided to share it with their city, while 66.7% feel the need to rip out my heart to see the blood themselves. (Drama, you got to love it).

In all seriousness, I was hoping to get into the New York City Short Film Festival this year with "Lucidity", but, alas, it was not meant to be. I received my rejection form letter on October 1st that read:

"Dear Producer,

Thank you for submitting your film to NYC Shorts. Unfortunately, we are not able to program it in this year's festival. We received 876 submissions and are only able to program 40 films. The selection process was extremely competitive this year and each film was given careful consideration and screened multiple times by our programming judges. Best of luck as you continue your filmmaking career.

James Pellerito
NYC Shorts"

It is a shame that the festival only had enough time to accept 4.6% of the films they received. I am sure I am not the only producer of a film who feels this way (except for the 40 that were chosen). Hopefully the five festivals I am still waiting to hear from will give my film a chance. The next one to notify the applicants is Slamdance, the sister festival of Sundance, but they will not be sending out the acceptance/rejection emails until December, which gives me plenty of time to lick my wounds till the next onslaught. Hopefully, it will be a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home