Indi-Spence-able

The one-stop shop to see an actors growth from the moderately insane to stardom.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

I Feel Gassy

Robin and both woke up with a headache on Friday morning, but we didn't think anything of it. I thought it was either the mind-numbing feeling I get every Monday through Friday whenever I have to get into my car and drive 25 miles to a job that sucks the life force out of me, or it could have been the wine the night before. I found out later that it was neither.

Like every morning, my allergies are working overtime so I am pretty congested for the first hour I am up. Robin asked me if I smelled any gas in the house. I remembered the dog eating some cheese the night before, but I didn't think it would smell up the place that much. However, I couldn't smell a thing; I was 'gested. She told me she thought she smell natural gas but put that thought aside because I couldn't, and we headed off to Hell for 8 hours.

Upon returning home, she thought she stilled smelled gas. As I walked over to the stove in the kitchen, because that is where most stove are, I put my nose to the top of the appliance and took a whiff. She was right, there was a gas leak and it was coming from the stove in the kitchen, because that is where most stoves are. She called the gas company and they had someone out to our apartment in a couple of hours. He pulled out this contraption that detects gas by making a clicking sound. When he put it close to the stove in the kitchen, because that is where most stoves are, it sounded like a Geiger counter on crack. He said we definitely had a gas leak and he would have to replace the valve coming out of the wall and the hose that goes into the stove. It would only cost us a flat fee of $50. We called out manager to tell her, and after leaving a couple of messages, she called us back asking if it was an emergency because she was in a movie. We told our manager that her movie was way more important than the gas leak in our apartment and apologized for pulling her away from "Flushed Away". How dare we?

She realized it was an emergency and was cool to us afterward, telling us she would cover the $50 for the visit. After fixing the problem, the gas man told us that we had a 'very old stove' and that it was rusting inside. He then lit our pilot light on our furnace and was on his way. We felt like we had diverted tragedy. We were wrong.

We awoke this morning, both with splitting headaches again. As a man, I thought it was because our bodies might have been so used to the leaking gas, our bodies were not used to the good air in the apartment now. After realizing I said this out loud and how I was not truly showing my 138 IQ level, my wife told me she still smelled gas. Well, I have had some 'active' nights, and the gas man had fixed the problem, so I just assumed it was me. I had an audition for "A Few Good Men" this morning, and we also did some more running around. It was pretty hot outside so we decided we should leave the air on for the dog and shut all the windows up. When we got home a couple of hours later, the smell of the apartment was so strong that I finally understood what my wife was talking about. But the gas man fixed the problem, right?

We called the gas company again and told them they had to return because the smell was worse now. Unfortunately, I was to go to a bachelor party and couldn't stay home with my wife. On the way to the restaurant where I was going to meet the guys, Robin called me and told me they had just arrived. The gas man, after looking over the stove in the kitchen, because...you know...told Robin he could not leave the gas on going into the stove. We had a leak by the knobs where you turn the gas on and by the pipe under the top panel. Needless to say, Robin called the manager and we are due for a new stove on Monday...and take out all weekend!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home